Posted - 06/08/2008 :  06:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:

- it's a dream come true and I'll forever cherish my personalized sketch
Cool. You gonna scan it and show it to us?

No probs... http://www.fwfr.com/uploads/bolland.jpg

Excellent, doesn't get much better than getting something from an idol of yours.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  07:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi "Ben"!

That is too cool for words!

Treat it with care, have it framed -- and when the patter of little benjifeet start pittering, don't let 'em anywhere near it!!!

Call me an old-fashioned girl, but I've always had a thang for Swamp Thing

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved his work on Judge Dredd back in the day.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Ben???!!!

Er yeah... I've found it too much work saying my name is Benj to people- it's fine in written form, but phonetically people tend to stare weird at me and ask for clarification.

I can always draw the J in later
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ben???!!!

Best of all, he even drew me a sketch of the Joker, despite his reputation for taking months to draw what most artists churn out in a week.
--------------------------------
Er yeah... I've found it too much work saying my name is Benj to people- it's fine in written form, but phonetically people tend to stare weird at me and ask for clarification.

I am relieved to read that it takes him so long to render such detail. To view the talent is humbling enough by itself!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for your name...that's why I shortened my name given to me by Ma, "Lillis," (which I guess is a perfectly OK Irish surname, but Mom thought she was being creative) to "Lil." I don't have to explain "Lil" or listen to comments about it.
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  17:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have heard about the boy scouts who were killed by a tornado in Iowa last night. Very sad.

The same storm system hit my city and Chapman, another town west of here. Here is some news about it:
http://breaking.themercury.com/
>
A tornado between two and four blocks wide touched down near the Manhattan Regional airport late night Wednesday and bounced across Manhattan, the Kansas State University campus, and then went back up into the clouds near Moore Hall on the campus. It inflicted tens of millions of dollars of damage -- at least $20 million on the campus alone, authorities said.

Officials say there are no reported deaths but are continuing search-and-rescue efforts. A shelter is set up at Pottorf Hall in CiCo Park for those displaced. The Red Cross is assisting; the National Guard is also being called in. FEMA is on site.

No confirmed totals are available, but an estimated 30 homes in the Miller Ranch area -- in the southwest portion of the city -- have been flattened, with only foundations remaining. Many more are severely damaged. The University Heights area near E.J. Frick Drive was also hard-hit.

Business in the area of Amherst and Seth Child Road were hit; Waters True Value Hardware was destroyed. The sign from that business crashed through Gymnastics Plus, just to the east. The owner of Waters says they will rebuild. At Little Apple Toyota-Honda, windows were blown out and cars flipped over. The structure is still standing. The Aztec storage facility was heavily damaged, with property strewn for great distances.

Some looting was reported in that commercial area off Amherst; two people have been arrested, police said.

Lee Elementary School was also damaged, particularly in its library, a school official said.

On the KSU campus, there was major damage to numerous buildings. A tornado touched down on Durland Hall, the engineering building, with damage to the following: Ward, Moore Hall, Durland, Umberber, Fiedler, Weber and Cardwell. K-State police chief Ronnie Grice estimated damage at KSU at $20 million. Weber was believed to be the hardest hit, with heating and cooling units from the roof crashing through into the building. K-State President Jon Wefald described it as a disaster.

Wefald said the tornado was approximately a half-block wide on campus. Officials said at Ward Hall, the exterior was damaged but the nuclear reactor housed inside was "secure."

Wefald said K-State is insured but has a $5 million deductible. They had recently changed that to a $100,000 deductible, he said, but that doesn't take effect until July 1. Wefald drove to Topeka to brief the Board of Regents this morning. Classes have been called off for the day. Facilities workers were asked to come to work; new student orientation was moved to Bramlage. Power was out on the main campus this morning. There was major tree damage.

There were 1,900 homes still without power this morning.

Cleanup was expected to take days.

Both U.S. Senators from Kansas, as well as U.S. Rep. Nancy Boyda, are expected here tonight on the K-State plane. Gov. Sebelius is also expected to come.

The same storm devastated Chapman, about 30 miles west of Manhattan. One person was killed there. Authorities are estimating 60 to 70 percent of the community was damaged.

The last substantial tornado to hit Manhattan was on June 16, 1966. It took a similar path, just to the north, predominantly damaging the Jardine student housing complex.

The Mercury is continuing to follow the story and will publish photos as soon as possible. Our website is experiencing some problems; please be patient with us.
>

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh Improper Username

You may have heard about the boy scouts who were killed by a tornado in Iowa last night. Very sad.

The same storm system hit my city and Chapman,

Oh, that's horrible! I hope you and your loved ones are all safe.

Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  22:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm jealous of Benj. Bolland drew The Killing Joke, didn't he? So both he & Gibbons are best known in North America for working with Alan Moore on DC projects.

I'm also anticipating Watchmen. If it's too dark, it'll lose a fortune but if it's too light, it can't be faithful to the source material. They're being very literal to the series from what I've seen, and apparently "Tales of the Black Freighter" will be a full-length DVD released parallel to the film.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  22:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Well that better than saying you're fond of Giant-size Man Thing.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R o � k G 0 1 f

quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Well that better than saying you're fond of Giant-size Man Thing.

Ooo-ooo - lookit that cover! Hellcow!!! Definitely in my top 10 stories ... I know Howard the Duck was a crap film, but the comicbook series is brilliant brilliant brilliant. Alien cigar-smoking duck, vampire cow ... what more could anyone want?!!!! Steve Gerber for President

Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  00:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas, Steve Gerber died earlier this year of a lung disease. Frequent HTD artist Gene Colan is also in very sad shape. Yes, the Gerber issues were unique.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  04:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. I'm a day late but Thursday, June 12 was a good day. My dear elder daughter graduated with highest distinction from the University of Toronto with an Honours B.A.

That's summa cum laude elsewhere.

Way to go Sarah.

Edited by - lemmycaution on 06/14/2008 04:50:11
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  07:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  07:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Sarah. And congrats, lemmy!
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  16:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well. I'm a day late but Thursday, June 12 was a good day. My dear elder daughter graduated with highest distinction from the University of Toronto with an Honours B.A.

That's summa cum laude elsewhere.

Way to go Sarah.

WTG indeed!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000