Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  13:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all excellent points, demonic.
i especially agree about the violence for a pg13 film, the length, and the silliness of a vigilante in a bat suit being allowed to torture somebody in police headquarters.
however none of that ruined it for me. but it's also not nearly the best movie of all time, as imdb voters would have us believe. for me, it's not even Nolan's best movie but still a great one.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  17:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many times Warner Bros. went back to the MPAA to get their PG-13, which was a deal breaker for them [and probably contractual for Nolan]. Could this account for some of the choppy editing that some are seeing? Obviously, I come down on the side of the film, but I noted that several reviewers warned parents to keep their small children away. I'm sure the pencil was the first thing to go.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  23:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen this yet, but I will be seeing it at the cinema soon-ish rather than on DVD as per usual. I've skipped the obvious spoiler posts.

I hope it lives up to the hype, but I was a little underwhelmed by Batman Begins so am prepared to be disappointed. And I'm sure not expecting the best movie ever made.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  01:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Haven't seen this yet, but I will be seeing it at the cinema soon-ish rather than on DVD as per usual. I've skipped the obvious spoiler posts.

I hope it lives up to the hype, but I was a little underwhelmed by Batman Begins so am prepared to be disappointed. And I'm sure not expecting the best movie ever made.

Best superhero movie ever made.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  03:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

Dark Knight

IMDB Top 250: #1

Still #1, only just.

Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  11:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall
I'm sure the pencil was the first thing to go.

It was one of the first things I included.

By the way did you know who "The Dark Knight" is really modelled on?

Edited by - Conan The Westy on 07/30/2008 11:21:54
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  12:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conan: I voted for your Dark Knight review, but you could make it a pun by changing it to "Ledger with pencil entry".

Go to Top of Page

Wheelz 
"FWFR%u2019ing like it%u2019s 1999"

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  12:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Holy cow. This guy is apparently serious.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  12:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unbelieveable, if it really is serious.

Interesting how the author is happy to state many Europeans hate Bush, but fails to mention the fact that the film was actually directed by one (and written by two).
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  16:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that he was modelled after Bernie Goetz.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  02:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to have to say this, but I'm another one of the film's rare dissenters. For me the main problem was not that the film was too long, but that it tried to pack too much into that running time -- too many characters, too many plot points, just too much period -- for any of it to really register or mean anything to me. I was moderately entertained while the movie was running, but I couldn't care less what happened to these people. Had they all died at the end, I would've been fine with that. What was there to care about? The film has the attention span of a hummingbird, with lots of distracting cross-cutting. I staggered out of the theater, feeling like I'd spent the last two and half hours in a washing machine.

This is the fourth Christopher Nolan film I've seen, and I remain unconvinced of his ability to tell a coherent and compelling story. The film lurches from plot point to plot point, skipping some vital exposition along the way. Even at its current epic length, it plays like a rather frantic summary of a much longer film. Could The Dark Knight be the world's longest trailer?

A big problem here is Nolan's inability to create and nurture geniune suspense, even in scenes involving the unpredictable Joker. Nolan is unwilling or unable to slow down, so even the ferry boat sequence -- which should be gut-wrenching -- is just kind of momentarily disorienting before it peters out. That's all too typical of this film. Instead of wondering, "What's going to happen next?" I was too busy asking myself, "Wait, what just happened?" or even "What's supposed to be happening now?"

Plus, God help me, Christian Bale's Batman sounded like the Cookie Monster when he spoke. That lent an unintended air of comedy to some very dour action scenes. Bale makes a smashing Bruce Wayne, but a silly Batman, seemingly inspired by Frank Oz rather than Frank Miller.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed, since the Chicago shoot excited so many people over there. I agree about Batman's voice...see my post for more.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  14:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I can't get this out of my head:

Alfred: "Will there be anything else, sir?"

Batman: "COOKIE!"
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  16:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Conan The Westy

You know, I've thought about it, and I don't think the comparison isn't completely forced, except for the tiny detail that one is the highest official of a superpower nation and the other is a man in a rubber suit.

I like Shaft too, doesn't mean I'd elect him president.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

I was moderately entertained while the movie was running, but I couldn't care less what happened to these people. Had they all died at the end, I would've been fine with that.

You might not like the newest Mummy, either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000