Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  21:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw it for the second time Saturday. my second favorite line (after, of course, "Why so serious?"):

Batman: I don't need help.
Dr. Jonathan Crane: Not my diagnosis!
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  01:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"No award, please, for Dark Knight's Heath Ledger"

Edited by - damalc on 08/06/2008 18:02:31
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  07:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by damalc

No award, please, for Dark Knight's Heath Ledger

This guy is a real asshole - Ledger didn't kill himself intentionally, it was an accidental OD on prescription drugs. Its like blaming John Denver, or Sonny Bono or Jim Croce or Patsy Cline or Buddy Holly or Glen Miller for killing themselves in an accident. So the author's clean of drugs and alcohol now - good for him. But this guy hasn't the right to take out his anger and disgust for boozing and druggie stars on someone who is dead and can't defend himself.

If Ledger gets an Oscar it might not really be because of this role, but rather because Hollywood realizes they made a mistake for not giving him one for Brokeback Mountain when they had the chance.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 08/06/2008 07:38:36
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  11:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it'd be a real shame if Ledger were to win an Oscar for The Dark Knight simply because nobody will ever believe he won it on his own merit and not the sympathy vote.

Also, not to stoke the fires on this but I'm not sure we'll ever know if Ledger's death was accidental in the sense that he innocently took drugs for a couple of conditions or it was accidental experimentation. Either way I don't think his work should be lauded or dismissed based on how he died. Sadly, given the massive applause he got just for walking onscreen in the screening of TDK I saw I suspect this is clearly easier said than done.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

If Ledger gets an Oscar it might not really be because of this role, but rather because Hollywood realizes they made a mistake for not giving him one for Brokeback Mountain when they had the chance.

I really hope not. If Hollywood wants to hand out Oscars because they made a mistake previously (see also: Spielberg and Scorcese, to name but two) this should be a whole other category otherwise it's an insult to everyone else in the running. 'Best Performance By An Actor That We Previously Didn't Think Was Good Enough Because They Were Against A Guy Playing A Handicapped Minority With True American Grit That We Now Realise Much Too Late Should Have Won' perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people, myself included, believe John Wayne's nom and win for TRUE GRIT, especially the former, was more bestowed for a life's work than for this particular performance. The latter was greatly aided by noms for both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight for MIDNIGHT COWBOY; they split the vote for the eventual Best Picture, Director and Screenplay winner.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

I think it'd be a real shame if Ledger were to win an Oscar for The Dark Knight simply because nobody will ever believe he won it on his own merit and not the sympathy vote.

Sadly, given the massive applause he got just for walking onscreen in the screening of TDK I saw I suspect this is clearly easier said than done.

I don't think that the Academy will be able to avoid those feelings nor ignore how the public is reacting to him in the film.

quote:
Also, not to stoke the fires on this but I'm not sure we'll ever know if Ledger's death was accidental in the sense that he innocently took drugs for a couple of conditions or it was accidental experimentation.

Okay.

quote:
Originally posted by benj clewsEither way I don't think his work should be lauded or dismissed based on how he died.

This is exactly my point. Too many people seemed to have jumped onto the Ledger Fan Wagon just because he died, but this guy seems to think he needs to demonize him for exactly the same reason. I thought he was a marvelous actor since the first time I saw him on screen. He had a way about him that was special - honest. He blew me away in Brokeback Mountain and I was very disappointed that he didn't get an Oscar for that. I haven't seen Dark Knight yet, but you can bet your boots I'm going to see it as soon as I can. But then, I decided I wanted to see this way back when I saw the first trailers for it - and that was long before Ledger's death.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with demonic and Joe, but am too lazy to copy their posts.

It was moderately entertaining, but I'd basically forgotten about it by the time I got to the cinema door. The characters were vacuous plot instruments, but that's not uncommon in superhero movies.

All up, it was moderately entertaining.

7/10
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, and that guy demonising Heath for an overdose is an asshole. If Heath gets an Oscar, I couldn't say it was entirely undeserved, he was pretty good but his death should have nothing to do with it. I don't think he was any better as the Joker than Jack Nicholson was though.

And Bush is Batman? That guy missed a couple of points:-

- Batman doesn't kill people. How many has Bush killed - 100,000?
- Batman fights real villains, Bush fights imaginary ones.

You could make a similar case for Batman = Saddam Hussein.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
'Best Performance By An Actor That We Previously Didn't Think Was Good Enough Because They Were Against A Guy Playing A Handicapped Minority With True American Grit That We Now Realise Much Too Late Should Have Won'

They shortened that to Honourary Academy Award.
Go to Top of Page

Wheelz 
"FWFR%u2019ing like it%u2019s 1999"

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  14:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think this guy is an asshole.

I do think he's way too angry. His anger obscures his message, and it isn't properly directed at Heath Ledger anyway.

But underneath all the bile is a valid point. It can be argued that people like Hendrix, Joplin, and Dean have become the legends they are not just because of their work, but also because of how they died. That "live-fast-die-young" rebel image makes them eternally cool in the eyes of many.

That has got to be endlessly frustrating for an addict who has to face and defeat his own demons every single day, and who seems to want to spread the word that OD'ing is not, in fact, cool.

I only wish he'd made that point in a more reasonable tone of voice, and I hope he's getting some professional help for his obvious personal issues.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  15:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yeah, saw it last night. It's rubbish.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  17:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz

quote:

I don't think this guy is an asshole.

I do think he's way too angry. His anger obscures his message, and it isn't properly directed at Heath Ledger anyway.

But underneath all the bile is a valid point. It can be argued that people like Hendrix, Joplin, and Dean have become the legends they are not just because of their work, but also because of how they died. That "live-fast-die-young" rebel image makes them eternally cool in the eyes of many.

That has got to be endlessly frustrating for an addict who has to face and defeat his own demons every single day, and who seems to want to spread the word that OD'ing is not, in fact, cool.

I only wish he'd made that point in a more reasonable tone of voice, and I hope he's getting some professional help for his obvious personal issues.

I don't agree with his thesis, but I'll still invite all readers to imagine Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis, James Dean, JFK, RFK, etc., at age 65. You can't. Only Dylan and Keef have actually shown us the way. Sir Paul is the exception that proves the rule.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  00:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I have the choice of Poker or Joker, I decided to go see TDK. I'm not a comic book fan, I have only seen the first two Batman movies, which I remember nothing about them.

I enjoyed the movie, well, what I could hear of it.
I think it was Joe that said that he was sitting there thinking, what just happen then?, I felt the same way.
Loved the opening bank robbery and the hospital blowing up scenes.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 08/07/2008 00:19:28
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following up on my genuine concerns about the level of violence in this film for a 12A certificate I was pleased to read the following this afternoon from The Times...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article4449537.ece?&EMC-Bltn=OPD5D9

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000