Appaloosa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  14:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i liked Appaloosa but not nearly as much as i expected to with such a wonderful cast. Irons, Harris, Mortensen, Henriksen, Zellweger -- how bad could it be? i don't know, but it just didn't feel right, whatever the hell i mean by that.

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  18:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought some of it was far fetched and allegorical, but then again, most westerns are. I really enjoyed it and thought the entire cast did well.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  19:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen this, but when I read the thread I thought it was going to be a remake of a little gem of a Brando film directed by uber-stylist Sidney J Furie. OK it's a flawed gem, but, again, it's Brando in his favorite kind of role - the underdog. This time it's him against All Bad Mexican Horse Thieves, personified by the very Mexican John Saxon.

I can hardly believe it was made in 1966, dawning of the Age of Aquarius -- such a lot of cliches. But what lifts it is Brando's quiet intensity, his clutching onto the pants of justice even as he's dragged along behind. Or some such pretentious metaphor

Anyway - in that film the eponymous Appaloosa is Brando's horse that Saxon steals.

Ole!

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  00:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a'ight.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  21:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love a good Western. But I have to side with the folks who felt there was something missing. I found it too slow and measured -- with nothing new. Yep, it is a Western, with decades of established tropes and all, but consider UNFORGIVEN!

It's beautifully shot, beautifully acted, but somehow soulless. If I were the filmmakers I'd beat my head against the wall when some little punter posted something like that after all my hard work. But that's what it looked like from the audience; sorry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000