Hard Candy (2005)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  10:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to write a review of this film in the sense that my ex-lover BaftaBabe would (that's right Beebs: I'm telling EVERYBODY! So how do you like them apples?!?! Bet you'll think twice NEXT TIME before you insist that a guy lower the toilet seat. Oh: and those pink lace panties you found? They're actually MINE!), and I don't want to completely spoil the plot, because it's worth kind of not knowing what's going to happen as you watch the film.

I will say, however, that the film made me angry, frightened, frustrated, sometimes impatient, but, ultimately, entertained.

Watching the first 20 minutes reinforced for me the things I try to tell my 11 year-old daughter about child predators. Then I watched the rest of the movie, realizing that I couldn't show it to my 11 year-old daughter, which is a shame because there are some great lessons to be learned in that first 20 minutes (and there's no way she would put up with seeing only 20 minutes of a movie that has a pretty good transition at that point).

It's an hour and 39 minutes long, which is fairly concise, but to be sure, about 15 minutes chopped here and there would have improved the final product.

I had to rate it 3 of 5, only because I wanted to give it a 3.5 and couldn't (though it was earning 4 stars at certain parts). The star-rating problem for me derives from the very small cast (2 principles and essentially 2 cameos and an extra), which requires some powerful acting to pull off the attention span requirement (though there was some great acting at parts -- especially by Ellen page -- and certain plot elements tended to sustain the attention span). The mild tedium I felt during certain slightly belabored parts accounts for my final assessment.

It's definitely worth the watch, though.

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  10:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

I'm not going to write a review of this film in the sense that my ex-lover BaftaBabe would (that's right Beebs: I'm telling EVERYBODY! So how do you like them apples?!?! Bet you'll think twice NEXT TIME before you insist that a guy lower the toilet seat. Oh: and those pink lace panties you found? They're actually MINE!), and I don't want to completely spoil the plot, because it's worth kind of not knowing what's going to happen as you watch the film.

I will say, however, that the film made me angry, frightened, frustrated, sometimes impatient, but, ultimately, entertained.

Watching the first 20 minutes reinforced for me the things I try to tell my 11 year-old daughter about child predators. Then I watched the rest of the movie, realizing that I couldn't show it to my 11 year-old daughter, which is a shame because there are some great lessons to be learned in that first 20 minutes (and there's no way she would put up with seeing only 20 minutes of a movie that has a pretty good transition at that point).

It's an hour and 39 minutes long, which is fairly concise, but to be sure, about 15 minutes chopped here and there would have improved the final product.

I had to rate it 3 of 5, only because I wanted to give it a 3.5 and couldn't (though it was earning 4 stars at certain parts). The star-rating problem for me derives from the very small cast (2 principles and essentially 2 cameos and an extra), which requires some powerful acting to pull off the attention span requirement (though there was some great acting at parts -- especially by Ellen page -- and certain plot elements tended to sustain the attention span). The mild tedium I felt during certain slightly belabored parts accounts for my final assessment.

It's definitely worth the watch, though.

So you're not claiming ownership of the jock-strip with "Visit me behind" sweetly embroidered with a flowery border?!!!! Chicken!!!!

I really wanted 2C this, but they didn't show it at my local nor did the studio send us BAFTAs a DVD. So, you'll have seen it for me by proxy. Or by jiminy. Or ...

PS - I'd say that was pretty nifty review btw

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  23:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a very powerful film but I don't think it has any clue what it's trying to accomplish. Are we supposed to feel bad for the pedophile? Or are we supposed to sympathize with the insane, omniscient little girl? What's the whole point of the story?
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  02:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was a very silly film trying to be a bit shocking and a bit clever not really doing either.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  03:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was generally entertaining, but agree that it didn't serve a purpose other than to entertain. Nothing wrong with that.

Mind you, I don't recall it claiming to serve any purpose other to entertain.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone's reaction seems similar, and I agree. I think MrBadIdea summed it up the most accurately, at least for me. Even so, that first 20-30 minutes was a kicker, and I still couldn't pull away from the rest (even though there were points precursoring exasperation)!

Edited by - MguyX on 01/18/2009 18:17:16
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  14:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to write a review without spoiling it, but I did enjoy it. The first 20 minutes were chilling, then the film went in a direction I never saw coming.

What's really annoying is they give away the entire plot on the back of the DVD -- fortunately I didn't read it until after I saw the movie. For everyone else who hasn't seen it, just rent it and don't ask what it is about.

Some things were a stretch in the second half, but it was still entertaining.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000