Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  23:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.k., I'm just going to shut up now. I still have my opinion, but if MBI and Randall are in the other camp on this one, I'll just wave a flag of truce.

(But I can still see the Emperor's junk! )
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  23:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

O.k., I'm just going to shut up now. I still have my opinion, but if MBI and Randall are in the other camp on this one, ...

and damalc

edit: the english dubbing on the dvd was horrible, but i usually watch foreign movies in their original language with subtitles, so that wasn't a big deal for me. i just learned from this article (SPOILERS) that the english subtitles on the dvd were not as good as the theater version.

Edited by - damalc on 03/28/2009 19:58:23
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  04:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by damalc

quote:

O.k., I'm just going to shut up now. I still have my opinion, but if MBI and Randall are in the other camp on this one, ...

and damalc

and damalc.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  20:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

O.k., I'm just going to shut up now. I still have my opinion, but if MBI and Randall are in the other camp on this one, I'll just wave a flag of truce.

(But I can still see the Emperor's junk! )

Why wave the flag? Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine, and in quite a few cases, it has proven even better!

Rave on, MguyX! Continue to show us the Emperor's junk! [Erm, that didn't come out quite the way I'd planned...]

Edited by - randall on 03/28/2009 20:55:29
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  20:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Emperor's junk is another Emperor's sampan.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bow to you once again, Sensei.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  04:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched it.

One impression, in the words of an old beer commercial (Bud Lite, I think): "Why are foreign films so, ... foreign?"

LOVED the imagery, especially of the outdoor shots. Loved the "foreign" feel (because I'm a typical American and any movie shot anywhere else is a treat. It was NOT Los Angeles, like 80% of Vampire / teen movies are). Hated the dubbing, reminded me of old Godzilla movies because the voices never seem to match the actors. Iron Chef is done better.

Agree the little boy was stiff. Wondered if he was supposed to be.

I think this is inviso-text (cuz all the cool kids are doing it):
I have a question about whether she met her last "helper" when he was 12.

Cats made me laugh (made me think of LOLcats)

I know my wife would have hated it for the pacing and subtitles alone, I didn't even ask her to watch it. She was watching a Nora Roberts movie on Lifetime (cable) channel tonite, which she enjoyed much more than she would have this film.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  13:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to watch subtitles on live-action films that aren't made in English. [Like this one, so I can't speak to the English dialogue track.] Going to film festivals must have gotten me used to it. For me, the dubbing takes me out of the story and makes everything look like a Godzilla movie, or encourages me to think, "Hey, the lips move on that foreign word just like they do in English!" -- and by then, of course, I'm no longer paying attention.

The exceptions are animated movies -- I want to watch the image, not read -- and Leone westerns. [In THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY, at least the three leads are speaking English anyhow.] The dubbing there underlines the outre, alien nature of this representation of the American frontier, so I don't mind it at all. Funny how we settle into preferences that don't really make sense.

Edited by - randall on 03/30/2009 00:15:06
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  20:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

I tend to watch subtitles on live-action films that aren't made in English.

The exceptions are animated movies -- I want to watch the image, not read -- and Leone westerns.

I prefer German dubbing to English dubbing.
No, really. And no, they do not talk like angry Nazis. They talk normally and they do an effort to dub a movie as descent as they can.
Generally in German TV all movies are dubbed but you have channels like ARTE (probably the single greatest TV programming) with dual audio so you can choose.
Their dubbing of animated series/movies is especially good; they always seem to lovely transcend the story, while never being cheesy. Sometimes even debunking the cheesy original language parts. Miyazaki is only to be watched in Japanese, but seeing it in German (either when you know German, or when you watch it with subtitles) is also a grand experience. Anybody who is annoyed by the modern Hollywood's star-voice-loaded animation, should check Germans out. You could do far worse.

Edited by - rabid kazook on 03/30/2009 20:08:51
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  20:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silly

Just watched it.

I think this is inviso-text (cuz all the cool kids are doing it):
I have a question about whether she met her last "helper" when he was 12.

Nice observation -- I hadn't thought of it! [I haven't read the book: maybe it's explained there, but it makes perfect sense, and makes the last shot even more chilling!]

Edited by - randall on 03/30/2009 20:34:48
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  20:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabid kazook

quote:

I tend to watch subtitles on live-action films that aren't made in English.

The exceptions are animated movies -- I want to watch the image, not read -- and Leone westerns.

I prefer German dubbing to English dubbing.
No, really. And no, they do not talk like angry Nazis. They talk normally and they do an effort to dub a movie as descent as they can.
Generally in German TV all movies are dubbed but you have channels like ARTE (probably the single greatest TV programming) with dual audio so you can choose.
Their dubbing of animated series/movies is especially good; they always seem to lovely transcend the story, while never being cheesy. Sometimes even debunking the cheesy original language parts. Miyazaki is only to be watched in Japanese, but seeing it in German (either when you know German, or when you watch it with subtitles) is also a grand experience. Anybody who is annoyed by the modern Hollywood's star-voice-loaded animation, should check Germans out. You could do far worse.

I barely squeaked through college Deutsch...

I hear the French re-recording people are very good, too. Must be the waning influence of the New Wave...although I think most of the more snobby of those guys watched subtitles as well.

And Mr. Miyazaki? That's precisely why I started switching to the English track on animation! I saw PERSEPOLIS at the NY Film Festival and was slightly irritated at the reading I had to do...I wanted to concentrate on the images! What a non-snob [IOW, a slob] I am!

Edited by - randall on 03/30/2009 20:39:01
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  21:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

I hear the French re-recording people are very good, too. Must be the waning influence of the New Wave...although I think most of the more snobby of those guys watched subtitles as well.

Those French tontos could not be better.

quote:

And Mr. Miyazaki? That's precisely why I started switching to the English track on animation! I saw PERSEPOLIS at the NY Film Festival and was slightly irritated at the reading I had to do...I wanted to concentrate on the images! What a non-snob [IOW, a slob] I am!

Well that's OK; everything that improves your personal experience should be followed. I'm used to watching stuff with subtitles since childhood so that works for me.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  22:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabid kazook

quote:

Those French tontos could not be better.

quote:

Well that's OK; everything that improves your personal experience should be followed. I'm used to watching stuff with subtitles since childhood so that works for me.

These boyos who still draw 24 images per second deserve to be luxuriated in. [In which to be luxuriated?] But that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  00:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, and though I was generally underimpressed [it was very good, but it was no Best Picture, pal], the [quite necessary] subtitles were fabulous! They darted into and out of the main images so artfully that they seemed like dubbing. Congrats to anyone responsible!
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  14:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the Right One In

I saw four films yesterday and this was the best one. However, I think I enjoyed it a little less than the general buzz: a high 4/5 or low 5/5. Empire gave it 5/5.

I also wondered that about the helper. And do cats attack vampires? And how does she know to turn up when Oskar is in the swimming pool? Where are they going on the train? Won't his mum look for him?

The actor who plays Oskar is definitely not wooden -- he's great and is certainly supposed to come across just like that. It's unusual for two children to be able to hold a film so well, especially one that has such a languid pace. Very impressive.

It would be utterly horrible to watch this with dubbing. I used to agree about dubbing being acceptable in animations (and the spaghetti westerns and Monkey), but when I saw Persepolis I found it dissatisfactory. I've seen other English contexts since retain the French, so that's obviously a view held by other people.

How appalling that this is being remade (in English, I assume) straight away. This seems to be a growing theme with successful non-English films.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000