Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Titan's request, this week's theme is all about the color...

RED

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about some lovely Red Velvet Chocolate Cake, then?
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, and don't forget www.fwiffer.com
Go to Top of Page

tortoise 
"Still reviewing, but slowly."

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  14:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a variety of tortoise known as Red-Footed (or Red-Legged). I wonder if this is because it's been out in the sun too long?
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say what you will about the Spider-Man movies in particular and comic book movies in general, but you've got to admit, they do a great job on their graphic design/advertising.
Go to Top of Page

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will never forget the first time I saw The Wizard of Oz or those twinkling ruby slippers in technicolor.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  22:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Stalean beat me to the Ruby Reds, I'll go with the Red Hots - Chili Peppers, that is!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  02:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  02:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I present to you the origin of the color red... sort of.

This is an actual "I'm glad you asked that question" situation.

I have recently become obsessed with red food coloring. My parents keep kosher, and my sister and her kids are vegetarian. So we were surprised to learn that a product called "Meatless Corn Dogs" sold at Trader Joe's under their own label contains a red dye called "Carmine".

Carmine is made by crushing the cactus parasite pictured on your left, which is known as Cochineal.

Trader Joe's further describes the corn dog as "vegetarian" in their magazine the Fearless Flyer.

Cochineal as a dye was originally used by the Aztecs and the Mayans. Spain managed to keep the dye's source a secret for a hundred years as they fiercely protected the cactus fields. The dead bugs were thought to be berries or another plant product. By limiting the supply, they made it very expensive and only the truly wealthy could acquire clothing of this color.

As a food ingredient more recently, the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard for a labeling law that would have required the word "insect" to be used. The FDA "compromised" by changing the required listing from "Red Dye #XX" to "Carmine".

I've eaten about 18 of those meatless corn dogs - they were on the market long before I discovered they were arguably not meatless. I've asked Trader Joe's how many insects go into each corn dog.

No response as of yet.

For those of us who grew up in the U.S. in the 1970s, there is only one Carmine: the guy from Laverne and Shirley, but that's another story.

Edited by - Sludge on 07/06/2007 02:08:50
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  05:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sludge

I present to you the origin of the color red... sort of.

This is an actual "I'm glad you asked that question" situation.

I have recently become obsessed with red food coloring. My parents keep kosher, and my sister and her kids are vegetarian. So we were surprised to learn that a product called "Meatless Corn Dogs" sold at Trader Joe's under their own label contains a red dye called "Carmine".

Carmine is made by crushing the cactus parasite pictured on your left, which is known as Cochineal.

Do the Meatless Corn Dogs have a hechsher? It doesn't sound likely if they are made with carmine: "All winged swarming things that walk on all fours shall be an abomination to you" (Leviticus 11:20). Also, I don't remember which book it is written, but it is also forbidden to eat of an animal that is found dead of natural causes.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's red, and it's hot.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  07:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sludge

For those of us who grew up in the U.S. in the 1970s, there is only one Carmine: the guy from Laverne and Shirley, but that's another story.
Isn't he from the Sopranos?

No spoilers please, Kiwis still have 9 episodes to go.
Go to Top of Page

mampers11 
"Lazy Lebowski Loses Rug"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  12:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the movie aint the greatest, though it has been given a lot of hype, but the great thing about this was the strategically placed roses on Mena Suvari's body. All I can say is Red Hot.

Mampers

Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  14:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making my cheddar redder by having a little wine with my cheese.
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  17:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gentle humorist and hilarious clown, Red Skelton. My favorite from his television show was when he pantomimed Shakespeares' 'Seven Ages of Man' to the narration by Shakespearean actor Maurice Evans. Parts were comedic, such as when he was playing the part of a messy infant, and parts brought tears to one's eyes, such as when he played the soldier.

Skelton's routines are still part of American vernacular. One day as I drove by a weather-worn barn, I saw two turkey buzzards perched on the opening of the hay loft. "Gertrude and Heathcliff," I thought to myself.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0804026/
http://www.redskelton.com/page0003.html

Edited by - duh on 07/06/2007 17:02:12
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  22:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maurice Evans also played Samantha's father on Bewitched
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic