Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  16:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aka "L�t den r�tte komma in," from Sweden.
if you like creepy films, damalc gives his highest recommendation for it. and even if you don't, i still say go see it. i didn't include the imdb link because that basically spoils it right away on the front page, but genre fans will get it quickly.

damalc 

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  14:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now available on dvd
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting. I just put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

Sounds interesting. I just put it on the top of my Netflix queue.

Ditto, but gotta' wait a month before it's out here
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  17:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the trailer before Watchmen, and must say it looks great. Looking forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  16:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this at home! Plan to watch it this weekend. Thanks, Netflix.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K., I watched it.

My daughter is into the "Twilight" books, so I thought she'd get a kick out of this film too, which Netflix shipped to me on blu-ray.

[Inviso-text follows. Not really spoilers, but I highly recommend that you get this film and watch it before you go further with this post. Don't worry, it'll be here when you get back.]

Yup.

One hour and 54 minutes. A little over two hours if you count the five deleted scenes. That's how much of my time I figure the director owes me.

I now remember that the Swedes have a very different idea about pacing and plot development in film. At points, it had hints of the bizarre meta-something or other of an old Ingmar Bergman film; mostly, however, it was kind of like watching all the stuff that probably goes on between scenes.

I'm not going to say it was like watching paint dry, but there was a certain "casualness" about how the action moved along, as well as a little nonchalance in dealing with the film's central relationship, and a kind of an "oh, what-the-heck" to some of the other events. The synopses and the reviews I read describe plot elements in a far more involved way than the movie itself depicts!

My daughter remained slack-jawed throughout, giving me a "wtf?" look during the entire viewing. We did have a couple of laughs at the cat scene and the hospital fire scene.

Why the "Barbie" thing (and you should know what I'm talking about if you saw the film)? And what does the title mean?

I didn't hate the film; but I'm still wondering what exactly compelled me to finish watching it -- and the deleted scenes too! I went and read some of the Netflix and IMDb reviews and I am aghast. People are going on about beautiful cinematography, masterful balance, riveting performances. Huh? Where?

I think this film is being driven largely on hype and that there is a strong "Emperor's New Clothes" thing going on. I'm going to kind of go out on a limb here and just say it: I can see the emperor's dick.

I'm giving it a 5 for two reasons. One: I want to encourage others to watch this film, because that will give me a sense of gratification knowing that others have shared my "experience" (as in "well I'm not going to be the only one!"). Two: there was something that kept me involved with this film, though, for the life of me, I don't know what the heck it was. I really don't know why I watched it to the end. And the deleted scenes too! I think it was just hope that it was going to do something different. Or maybe do something interesting. Or maybe get started.

Then again, different people like different things, so I'm more than willing to accept that I may just be a Philistine on this one. No offense intended, damalc, if we have different points of view on this; somehow, however, I think you are getting a kick out of this.

O.K., so now I went to the book store and pulled the book so I could see what was going on. Admittedly, I just skimmed the text a bit and bounced around the chapters. There appears to be a lot more context in the book. That doesn't mean it's automatically a great film, however.

Like I said, it seems like an engaging tale (in book form), and I think I may just watch it again to make sure that my fingers actually were twitching in a threatening manner toward my eyes. Perhaps in trying to be a unique production apart from the book, "LTROI" suffers from failing to preserve more of the book's subplots.

And I found out what the title means! (Which I could have done at IMDb if I just scrolled down a little.)

Edited by - MguyX on 03/16/2009 20:04:57
Go to Top of Page

damalc 

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  17:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not getting a kick, but definitely surprised. there's never any accounting for the other guy's taste. what're you gonna do?
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  20:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Inviso-text: do not read until you've seen the film]

True. And, again, I'm not saying I'm the end-all-and-be-all critic to listen to on this one, so I could simply be wrong! I doubt it, but I could.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  21:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mguyx: I really don't think there's anything approaching a plot point let alone a spoiler in your invisiotext. Still, I appreciate you being safe rather than sorry.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  22:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ro�k G01f

Mguyx: I really don't think there's anything approaching a plot point let alone a spoiler in your invisiotext. Still, I appreciate you being safe rather than sorry.

[I-T below:]

Actually, I just ran out of ink.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  22:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've netflixed it.

And the remake is already underway...
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  03:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any new entries on this one?
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  04:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched, and I really really liked it. Certainly far gutsier than the ridiculously bad Twilight. It actually shows the pain and isolation that Edward Cullen can only blather about. A very thoughtful, very mature movie. Still, its detachment makes it more of an intellectual exercise, and that does bother me some.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  19:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

Just watched, and I really really liked it. Certainly far gutsier than the ridiculously bad Twilight. It actually shows the pain and isolation that Edward Cullen can only blather about. A very thoughtful, very mature movie. Still, its detachment makes it more of an intellectual exercise, and that does bother me some.

Oh come on! I agree with your "Twilight" comments, hands down. [Inviso-text: only because I feel I have to stay with the theme]

But mightn't the intellectual exercise here be, in part, the effort it takes to rationalize this film? The effort it takes to try and like this film?

The little girl has a delicately expressive face, which is engaging, but the little boy is just ANNOYINGLY WOODEN. Granted, the voiceover in English was exceptionally retarded, which certainly didn't help matters for me. In comparison to the fairly rich context in the book, this film fails to handle the material in a manner that does its innate themes any justice. The film is overweight: carrying girth in areas where it does not need it. And inside every fat film is a fit one trying to get out; this is no exception. But, then again, that's just my opinion, which, obviously, in no way makes your opinion any less validly an expression of your reaction.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  20:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw it. Wow, beautiful. Can a vampire movie be "realistic"? MguyX, the title's from a Morrissey song, but a vamp has to be asked, you know...

So many things to love. The lighting and camera work are gorgeous: the damn thing doesn't even jiggle! The two kids look and act like two real kids. I felt so deeply for both of them, which is all I ever ask of cinematic characters. The director of CLOVERFIELD's gonna remake this for the U.S. I say leave it alone, but the studios never listen to me...

Five stars. Do not wait to see it...my copy's headed back to Netflix, so at least one citizen will have hisser chance soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000